Monday, June 9, 2008

deeper breaths

do you ever wonder who you would be without technology? what this world would be without it? i do. i wonder how much more tactile we would be. what would we do without our microwaves? i used mine twice in one day. both times to heat up butter. if i would have planned in advance i could have just set it out so that it would be soft. 
do you ever wonder what the world would be like without judgement?
would we touch each other more? would we hold hands without being afraid of what things 'mean?' i wanted to hold a friends hand today, but it would have been uncomfortable. i felt judged, without having done anything. i feel like a child in that holding hands is a simple act of saying, 'hi. you make me feel cared for. thank you.' but it's not okay when you're an adult. 
I ache inside knowing that there are almost 7 billion individuals in this world and that the majority of them have only a fraction of what I do. I wonder about what I can do in light of the situation of global poverty. I suppose educating myself is something, but I long to find some way to act. I hear all of the time that responsibility lies with those who have power, and although I feel deeply responsible I often find myself not knowing where to start. 
I started at central city community outreach yesterday. 
The kids play on the internet. On myspace. It's weird that myspace has replaced real life. If I have kids, I pray that this won't be their life. I pray that we can find a way to live. really live.

No comments: