Sunday, April 13, 2008

keep moving world, keep movin'

This is another not new bit of writing... it's from last fall, probably September sometime.

Shapes, sizes , values, they all have meaning to individuals, cultures, within certain eras, etc... every generation has an ideal - one they so generously impose on the generations that follow. Our parents were told what was right and what was wrong by their parents, preceded by their parents' parents before that.  In this world there have been generations and generations of human beings feeling inadequate.  our economy grows and shrinks, as do our bodies.  It's sad that in the world that is southern california we have such a skewed value system.  we value strength, money, thinness. . . we value time in the sense that, "I have enough time to go to a movie," or "I have enough time to go on that much needed vacation...to Hawaii..." or some other foreign place that we must fly or drive to, and once we're there, we rape their culture with tourism as a means of resting.  We must leave to find "rest".  I often wonder if it is actually rest that is found.  More than once, I have heard it said, "I need a vacation after having taken my vacation."

On a lighter note - I really enjoy seeing people who look like their animals.

* * *

Meeting people is an interesting task. I love people watching. One of my favorite groups to watch is little kids. Children are so innocent - this should have been obvious to me - i love when you're watching a kid and then find one watching back. They'll look at you for a while, size you up, and then, unbeknownst to the individual(s) who are caring for them, they shoot you a smile. These smiles are what I am convinced keep the world moving. The sweet smile of a child - so unwarranted and pure.

No comments: